Friday, March 22, 2013

Looking at a Picture of...

As I sit here in bed, Caroline sleeping next to me, I look over at a picture hanging on our bedroom wall.  It is the second picture we ever took as a couple, and was taken the morning I first met her parents.  Snow is in the background and we are beaming with happiness.  This is one of my favorite pictures of us.
Looking at this picture, I think, "This version of the Caroline I knew is like the seed of the Caroline I know now."

This thought inspired this poem.  I also felt motivated to write poetry because only prose has been represented on this blog - poetry ought to at least be posted once.  Please enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------


Looking at a picture of
Someone whom, now you love.
Time displaces who they are,
Though in your hand, they now seem far.

A different version of the one,
Which makes the person now undone.
Who they were, and who they are.
Can one quite know, just how far?

Glad you are that you could see
Who this person soon would be.
But what might happen, later on?
Down the road, might I be gone?

This present version of myself,
Melted into someone else.
Churning forward constantly
With no consistent melody.

The one I love will change with me.
I pray our change would somehow be,
Tied together, not alone,
Knit together, eyes on home. 

Looking at a picture of
Someone whom, now you love.
Grace will find us patiently
Walking towards eternity.








No comments:

Post a Comment